Friday, June 12, 2009

Twitter - Is It All its Cracked Up to Be to Canadians?

The one thing I am hearing more and more (beyond "I think we need to be on Facebook") is "We need to be on Twitter". I usually as "why do you want to be on Twitter", which is generally accepted with a blank stare. An new ipsos survey looks at awareness and usage twitter among Canadians and surprisingly there are very few people who are using it.

Basically it boils down to the fact that 1.45% of Internet users actively use Twitter, which is about 1% of the total population. If reach is your strategy, you may be wasting some kid's time Tweeting about your company (hopefully you aren't paying a PR company an hourly rate).

Don't get me wrong, I like Twitter, I use Twitter, but I think that people have to think about what the strategy is and how Twitter is a tactics to help it. Twitter is not an end into itself and has to be part of a larger content strategy.

A Leger/CNW study showed how out of tune PR companies and other industry professionals were in terms of their perceptions of how consumers were using Twitter. Maybe, if reaching PR people is part of your targeting, Twitter would be the ideal tool.

Just reiterates to look at the data and write an articulate strategy before chasing a tactic. You can follow me @cowanpkc.

No comments:

Post a Comment